Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Love... and other things...

Not really a cancer related post today but yet one that can apply to all situations...  the topic...  LOVE...  it's importance, it's power and it's relevance in our lives.  I will start off by sharing with you one of my all time favorite quotes:

“I strongly believe that love is the answer and that it can mend even the deepest unseen wounds. Love can heal, love can console, love can strengthen, and yes, love can make change.” ~ Anonymous

In the light of all of the tragedy that is taking place in the world these days, it saddens me mostly how so many people are reacting to these tragedies rather than the tragedies themselves.  Fear, uncertainty, and self-preservation are taking the lead in our decision making.  It's causing people to want to run to the nearest Home Depot and buy materials to start erecting walls to separate themselves from the rest of the world.  It's causing us to pass judgment on entire races of people simply because they have the audacity to share the same space as those who are inflicting terror.  It's causing us to spread hate where hate does not belong.  This worries me more than explosions and gunfire.  It worries me because spreading ripples of hate can only cause more harm than good. 

"Hate...  it has caused a lot of problems in this world.  But it has not solved one yet."  ~ Maya Angelou

Before you start throwing eggs at me and accusing me of turning a blind eye to what's going on in the world,  I want you to know that I do get it...  and yes, I have the same fears as everyone else.  I love my family, I don't want anything bad to happen to them.  I want to protect them and make sure they are safe.  How can I put them at risk?  And the only answer I have to that is this:  I would rather die doing the right thing and with a clear conscience.  I would rather love.  Isn't it much better to die with love in our hearts instead of hate?  That is what I want my children to learn more than anything else.  Dying is inevitable...  but, the way we choose to live our lives, the hearts we touch along the way, being the person that has left ripples of love and hope behind as our legacy is more important than our expiration date. 

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts there can be no more hurt, only love. ~ Mother Theresa 

It is my hope that people at least try to remember our core values.  The values that can make us stand out as people worthy of recognition.  The kind of people who those can come to and know that in our presence they will find peace and solitude in their darkest hour.  Opening our arms to those in need and taking care of each other no matter who we are, where we are from or what we believe is not only our responsibility, but also the best way to spread those desperately needed ripples of love.  Love must outshine hate, or hate will win every time.  Can't we find a way to give love to those who need it while at the same time using our common sense to guide our safety??  I think we can.  But,  I also think most people nowadays like to take the easy route through life.  And, loving people unconditionally and putting ourselves at risk for the greater good is just too hard, too risky.  Choosing to live for others and the greater good of others means we have to put away our self-serving tendencies.  Sacrifice and taking risks is something we never like doing.  But, sacrifices aren't meant to be easy and nothing of any value in this life is easily attained.  Love is one of those things that is hard to find and hard to give.  But, it is required if we are ever able to truly find peace in this world. 
It has always been a rule in our home that we do not judge people based on their beliefs, their race, their religion, where they live, or who they are related too.  If someone is kind to you, you are kind in return.  If someone has given you no reason to hate them, then you don't.  We do not judge entire races, religions, cultures based on the actions of the few that inflict terror on others in their name.  Every race, every religion, every country has those within it's walls and borders that cause harm.  We can never escape harm, even if we build walls in an attempt to keep it away.  
We are becoming a world where trust is almost impossible and we are allowing fear to change us as people.  Because of this lack of trust and fear, we are beginning to spread hate to many people who do not deserve to have this thrust upon them.  And you know what, in allowing fear to take over all of our actions, we are helping the people who spread terror WIN!  I for one, refuse to allow them to succeed in spreading hate.  I will continue to trust, to give, to share and spread love no matter what.  It has always been the essence of who I am.  It is how I want to be remembered.  You don't have to be religious to do this...  you don't have to be anything but a person who allows their conscience to be their guide. 

"Always let your conscience be your guide" ~ Jiminy Cricket :))

I don't have any answers to how we resolve the difficult issues that are plaguing the world.  I feel pretty confident our leaders don't have any either.  But, I know for a fact that hate is not the answer.  Nothing done out of hate has ever solved anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ahead for your thoughts, comments and support... :)